The Twenty-five signs sure signs your house is haunted describe the most common phenomenon, which may indicate ghosts are present. First off, it’s essential to realize that indicators are so subtle that in the beginning, you may think that you imagine the signs. Yet, strange happenings persist, and you can no longer deny something supernatural is going on.
Secondly, Spirits, aka Ghosts, can be intelligent—meaning they can interact in some fashion with humans. Residual hauntings indicate events that happen over and over but do not in any way react to the living. Or, it’s a poltergeist haunting which is a whole different thing.
Thirdly, skeptics often scoff at accounts of hauntings claiming that it’s just the victim’s imagination. However, we in the paranormal field take these kinds of events seriously. We know that ghosts do indeed exist and can cause significant problems.
The Most Common 25 Sure Signs Your House Is Haunted:
- Unaccountable footsteps, weird music, loud banging, knocking, and tapping noises.
- A musical instrument plays, or a child’s toy starts up when no one is near it.
- Doors, cabinets, drawers are mysteriously opening and closing.
- Electronic equipment such as TVs or radios unaccountably turn on and off even when unplugged.
- Phones or cell phone messages with strange a hoarse whisper, or a voice that seems far away.
- Persistent nightmares or visions of places or people that have no meaning for you.
- Feeling touches, being watched, or experiencing inexplicable chills or cold spots.
- Breezes are present that are so cold that they make your teeth chatter.
- Seeing mists, vapors, or moving light orbs.
- Intermittent smells of foul odors.
- Aromas such as unfamiliar perfume, pipe tobacco, or cigarette smoke, etc.
- Occasionally hearing voices or mumbled conversations that shouldn’t be present.
- Pets staring into corners or at ceilings for something that isn’t there.
- Pets growling at some unseen menace.
- Overall feeling of oppression or often startled awake from a deep sleep.
- Waking up at the same time every night.
- Noticing shadowy figures dart around out of the corner of your eye.
- Being decidedly tripped or pushed when no one else is present.
- Objects moved around or crashed to the floor for no reason.
- Lights are inexplicably going on or off, or light bulbs exploding.
- Hearing unaccountable moans or screams, and it’s not your kids.
- Seeing apparitions of people that are solid people, transparent, or partially formed.
- Beginning to genuinely fear for your safety and the safety of others around you.
- Feeling dizzy or nauseous with no medical reason behind it.
- Just not wanting to be in your house!
If a few or many of these indicators are present, then you may have a haunting.
Still on the Fence about the Reality of Hauntings and Ghosts?
For some, the existence of ghosts is most definitely a real phenomenon. In the face of ever-mounting evidence published worldwide, Britain alone reports about 150 cases a year. Sadly, some cases of hauntings slide into obscurity as people are embarrassed to talk about it. More than likely, the victims have moved from the location.
Is the Abandoned House Next Door Haunted?
Is the House Next Door the Origin of your Haunting?
So, you move into your dream home. The problem is, the house next door is an abandoned wreck. Should you be worried that the house is haunted? Most likely it’s not. Generally speaking, not every abandoned home is a place of spirit activity. Yet, there are exceptions to this.
In rarer cases, homeowners report that upon moving into their new home, weird things began to happen. So much so, they fear that a haunting is going on. How can this be? No one mentioned a haunting before purchasing your dream home.
Spirits that Died Somewhere Else
Paranormal investigators have found that sometimes a spirit infesting a place may have passed somewhere else. And that somewhere else is right next to your home. Spirits such as these are usually intelligent–meaning that the spirit can reason, think, act, and feel emotions. It may be that the spirit, tired of feeling alone, finds somewhere close to inhabit instead. If symptoms of the haunting are benign, perhaps you can live with it. If not, perhaps you can persuade the spirit to move on by talking to it. However, if the haunting activities are aggressive or violent, get professional help right away to rid the location of the ghost.
The Phenomena of Apparitions from an Experts View
British paranormal investigator, Andrew Green, was described as “Britain’s Specter Inspector” and Ghost Buster. What he says about apparitions is interesting. Green felt that there is no doubt that people experience seeing apparitions.
Moreover, often these occurrences happen while fully conscious. However, events can also occur while in a relaxed state and not even thinking about anything in particular. I have experienced several events of seeing apparitions when like this.
After years of investigating ghostly activity, many paranormal investigators are left with more questions rather than answers. For example:
- Why does a spirit haunt a particular location?
- Can most hauntings be considered intelligent?
- What is it that keeps them around?
- Why do hauntings seem to begin at a specific point in time?
- Can the spirit be exercised from the location?
- And more.
Green, now deceased, maintained that paranormal researchers and ghost hunters were duty-bound to keep up with the latest developments in parapsychology and psychical research.
How to Prove that a Haunting Is Going On?
One of the major problems is how to establish proof of the authenticity of a ghost or haunting. It’s essential that people do their own investigating before calling in help. There are things that you can do to start your own investigation. And, if you do capture evidence, what then? We offer suggestions for how to do this in Carol’s book on this website, Is It a Ghost or Swamp Lights?
Keep a Detailed Record of Strange Events
Some victims keep a journal of paranormal happenings and document them in great detail. If the phenomena persist, I highly recommend doing this! It will help you keep your sanity and enable you to describe the paranormal happenings to others–if it comes to that. However, you’ll want to ensure first that a child or someone else isn’t pranking you.
For example, you hear footsteps coming up the stairs every night and know that nobody in your home is causing this. Please write it down and document how often this occurs. The best practice is to annotate the day or days, time, weather, and anything else, including moon phases. Phases of the moon can be found on most calendars!
If you wish to rid yourself of these spirits, get a qualified paranormal team in your area to come in and investigate. Check their credentials and get testimonials. Teams should not charge an enormous amount of money to investigate.
Most groups will investigate for free or only charge travel expenses, if at a distance. Significantly, be wary of strangers showing up and promising to clear a home or business of ghosts for a large sum of money. Or, purchase our How to Ghost Hunt Pro course on this website.
Disclosing a Haunted House
By law, in some states, a possible haunting in a residence for sale is must be disclosed. When writing this post, only four states have existing real estate disclosure laws about paranormal activity. These are New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Minnesota. According to disclosure laws, the property is considered stigmatized property. In other states, it’s not mandatory to alert potential buyers of a possible resident ghost. What if YOU have a ghost? Hopefully, the activity is such that you can live with it. If not, contact your real estate agent and give them what for! If you can’t live with the ghost, get professional help at once! No one, absolutely no one should be driven from their beloved residence!
People and places experiencing a haunting is no joke. After a while, the events start to wear on individuals, and they begin to question their sanity.
Ultimately, it’s no fun when you’ve concluded that spirits are hanging out in your space–whether it’s a home, business, or land.
If you are experiencing what you believe is a haunting, you can investigate for yourself. How to do this? Start recording your home or office via video cameras or voice-activated voice recorders. Chances are, you’ll capture the evidence you need to take the next steps to clear your residence of unwanted spirits.
You may be interested in this:
› Requirement Notification of a Haunted Property